Control the Controllables – Why it’s important now more than ever
Have you ever heard that saying?
Control the Controllables? It’s something I’ve heard lots of people say recently and it’s something that I’ve used in these times of immense overwhelm considering the current world sitaution.
As a lover of apocalypse style movies and tv shows I never thought for a million years I would ever witness a pandemic sweeping the globe.
Yet here we are in the middle of what feels like a sci-fi movie gone wrong.
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed right now, believe me as a previous world class catastrophizer I know all too well how easy it it to go to ‘that’ place.
But as harsh as it may sound this ‘catasrophzing’ isn’t going to get anyone anywhere.
Nobody knows really whats going to happen in a week, month or 6 months from now.
That’s why it’s so important that we focus on today and what we CAN do to make our lives that bit easier as we navigate these uncertain waters.
This is what’s called controlling the controllables.
MYW Episode 40: Control the Controllables with Siobhan Murray
In the latest episode of the Mastering Your Wellness Podcast I spoke to Resilience coach Siobhan Murray about just that. It’s live now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher.
Read below for a summary of some of the key topics and some golden nuggets shared throughout the episode.
You can also listen directly to the episode below and I hope that the episode will help you take back some of that power that Covid19 has taken from you and ultimately help you ‘control the controllables’ in your life today.
Key Takeaways from Episode 40
- Anxiety is a normal response to an abnormal situation. Don’t beat yourself up!
- Focus on what you CAN control – cooking a healthy dinner, going for a walk, adhering to guidelines on social distancing.
- If you’re a dual parent household both working from home create a ‘tag team’ schedule so you both get some work done while keeping the children entertained
- Create a ‘worry jar’ for you and your family using post it notes. Write down your worries and pop them in a jar for discussion at a particular time.
- Flexibility is your friend- don’t beat yourself up if your day isn’t going to plan. Try your best to stick to some sort of routine in abnormal circumstances.
I hope you’ll tune in for some of the great guests I have lined up and hopefully the content will help you improve your state of mind and help you feel emotionally well esp if you’re feeling anxious right now.
I’ll also be sharing lots of the content on social media so if you’re not following me on Instagram, Linkedin, Twitter or Facebook do find me and connect with me – Id love to keep in touch.
You might also like to listen to last week’s episode with Shane Cradock
Also if you’re listening to this and you’re interested in some 1:1 online coaching with yours truly drop me a line on email@example.com and we’ll set up a client discovery call.
Stay safe everyone!